Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Another week another post...

This past week was an easy week of training. A great time to rest and recover for a big training block ahead. The hardest workout of the week was a 3 hour bike with a 1:30 brick run. My body is getting used to running off the bike, which is AWESOME!

On Friday I got a massage by Junko Shields. This was no easy nice massage. This massage felt like an intense workout. My last massage was in the beginning of May, long overdo! After the massage she told me to "go home and ice". I knew I was in for it after she said this. Sure enough the next day I was sore all over the place. Definitely getting a massage within the next couple weeks and then in another one before Ironman!

Saturday I rode the group ride. We had the big guns out this week with riders like, Luis De la Torre, Yan Sawinski, Kevin Murar, Jimmy Day, Kris Kiser, Grant Miller, Harry Yoshida. This is a great group of fast guys to be out riding with. We were all pushing from the very get go passing the airport. I took a good long pull about halfway through and sprinted with the big guns for the finish at the Vet. Cemetary. After the sprint I could taste the Iron in my mouth, a good indicator that I pushed very hard. Yan Sawinski got a flat on the way to scenic point and a few of the others stopped and helped him out while the rest just kept going. Kris Kiser and I battled it out for the sprint finish and he got me. He's one tough cookie that won't give up. Heading back into town a lot of the guys were chatting while Kevin and Yan peddled ahead. I decided to join kevin and Yan in the front. We tryed to make a break and pick up the pace while the other guys were busy chatting. Before the Four Seasons turn off Luis De la Torre went flying passed me. I instantly jumped up and started sprinting to jump on his wheel. During this mad sprint I nailed a rock and blew my tire. Son of a B****! This was my first flat in a really long time. MONTHS! It happened on my front Armadillo tire which I've had for over a year. GREAT TIRE by the way!Grant pulled over while the rest of the train went zipping by. The rock punctured the side of the tire so we had to stick a GU wrapper by the hole then put on the tube. This way the tube wouldn't pop out of the hole. BRILLIANT!!! Grant and I peddled easy the rest of the way into town.

On Sunday, I had my longest run of the year so far. 2 HOURS! I went about 15+ miles easy and it felt great. Long runs remind me how much I hate to carry a water bottle and how much I love aid stations. An aid station every mile during the run of the Ironman. LOVELY! Don't have to worry about carrying anything.

Monday, I did a total of 3700 yards swimming. It felt good and helped to loosen the muscles after Sunday's long run.

Today I did an interval bike workout with a brick run and then a run in the afternoon. Nothing to exciting, but did put it some hard 4 minute intervals. I'm pleased to say that I didn't go out to fast on my brick run. YIPPEEE! Thats it for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude its not "John" it is "Yan" (yawn)

themagicisback said...

Sorry! Fixed it. I thought it was spelled different, but when I checked the masters swim program it was spelled "John".