Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cody to the RESCUE!!!

We (Oklahoma Wedding party) were heading back into town from the Hilton. I was playing tour guide and showing them some things to do on the last day before they departed that night. Instead of sitting in the Kona crawl traffic just past Costco, I told them to turn up Kaiminani for a shortcut.

We get to the top and what do you know traffic. The first thought in my head was "oh no there must be an accident". We get a little closer and I see this lady standing on the stepboard of a truck hanging on to the door. I see her jump off and start chasing a little speedy white dog darting down the road. They had the hazard lights on and the lady was waving at cars coming in the opposite direction to get them to slow down. This dog almost got hit about five times within five minutes. The truck the lady was in got close to the dog so she jumped off and tried catching it, but it juked her out like a football player and went straight into oncoming traffic and almost got flattened.

After seeing this I told the Wedding party to "let me out and I'll chase this dog down". We got within five cars of the dog and I bailed out like a chinese firedrill. The chase began! The dog had a good 50 yard jump on me. A guy on a motorcylcle pulled over in front of the dog and jumped off his bike and yelled at the dog and tried grabbing it, but again the dog juked him out and headed for oncoming traffic. This slowed it down a little and I was within 20 yards of it. Then, it got a second wind and started to gain on me. I must have been running about 6:00 minute mile pace at this point and decided to switch gears or I wasn't gonna catch this little bugga! I switched into track mode and was flying down the highway at what felt like 5:00 minute mile pace. I got alongside the dog and bolted past it to get in front of it. When I got far enough in front of it, I bent over with my hands out and said in a real light voice "come here puppy". The dog just lied down on its stomach on all fours and just surrendered to me! IT WAS GREAT! I picked up the little, fluffy, white poodle looking mut and carried it off the road. Their was a train of cars following me down the road clapping and yelling after I caught the dog. All four paws were bleeding and it was panting like crazy. About 20 or 30 cars passed and the truck with the lady pulled over and she took the dog and thanked me. She said that they were house sitting and the dog escaped and were chasing it for miles. It took me at least a mile to chase it down. At one point I wasn't sure if I could catch it, but I figured it would get tired before me. I was so thankful when it just lied down and gave up.

The "Oklahoma wedding party", said "that moment just topped off the amazing trip". I put the Ironman training to good use by SAVING A DOG NAMED "KEA"!

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

ha ha ha! Way to save Kea! Only someone who runs as fast as you could have done the job...

see ya back in Kona soon... hopefully with my slot so I can train with you!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It reminds me of the time a Japanese friend had her purse snatched outside Lava Java and someone who had done the Ironman chased down and caught the thief.